Welcome to Porchester Square Gardens
An attractive, traditional London Square containing formal gardens and lawn, bedding displays and a recently refurbished children's play area.
This square is a pleasant peaceful place to spend a summer’s afternoon calmly reading a book or paper. ?Porchester Square was completed between 1855 and 1858, and was one of the last areas of Bayswater to be developed and built. Eight different builders were involved with different parts of the square as can be seen from a variety of exterior details on the houses. The architect most closely concerned with Porchester Square was George Wyatt, but the final word on both the general layout and the architectural detail would have been with George Gutch who in 1822 became the surveyor of the Bishop of London's Paddington estate and so supervised the overall development of the whole of Bayswater.
The name Porchester comes from one of the Hampshire estates of the Thistlewaites who with only two or three other families had been chief lessees of the Bishop of London's land in Paddington since before 1750. In 1955 when the Church Commission offered the leases of Porchester Square for sale, the northern side and some of the surrounding area was bought by the London County Council with a view to the complete rehabilitation of these fine Victorian houses. The gardens themselves were also acquired by Paddington Borough Council at this time and were first opened to the public in 1955.
The main tree species that can be found in the garden is the London Plane (Platanus x hispanica), these large mature plane trees help define and provide Porchester Square with the landscape character of a typical London Square. Other trees that can be found in the space are the Double Gean (Prunus avium 'Plena') and Indian Horse Chestnut (Aesculus indica).
Opening hours: 8am - dusk Play area Disabled access
If you would like to hold an event or film in this park please visit the Special Events website at www.westminster.gov.uk/specialevents or call 020 7641 2390.